It seems like it’s been 2 months, but truly it has only been slightly over a week since we met with Dr. Blount and Dr. Grant at UAB. Dr. Willert, our phenomenal pediatrician, was on vacay last week, ( She deserves 6 months of vacay after everything she has done for us! ), so we haven’t had a chance to meet with her and go over our appointment with Dr. Blount and Dr. Grant. I expressed my concerns about the meeting with Dr. Blount and Dr. Grant and how I wasn’t exactly thrilled or impressed with how the appointment went. I asked if she had received their report from the appointment yet and she said she had. She started dissecting Dr. Grant’s report line by line and sure as his sucker punch hit over a week ago, he hit me again. Only this time it was from over 300 miles away.
To put it simply, what Dr. Grant stated in his notes, was night and day different than what he said in the exam room. I didn’t have to state that I wanted another opinion. I didn’t have to state that I wanted to haul my 2 and a half year old son, my 28 week pregnant self, my exhausted husband and my voice of logic and reasoning mother all the way across the country in order to receive this second opinion. I didn’t have to say that I was beyond displeased with what Dr. Grant placed in his notes and I didn’t have to state that I once again had more questions than answers for the hundredth time in the past 2 months. I didn’t have to state these things, because Dr. Willert already knew them and agreed with them wholly.
Before today our plan was to wait and let Nathan meet with an ophthalmologist, have an eye exam done and see if there was any increased cranial pressure present. Now we are actively pursuing other doctor’s opinions on Nathan’s craniosynostosis, as well as actively pursuing seeing the ophthalmologist.
It is the never ending game of hurry up and wait.